Sunday, August 19, 2012

Development...

    Hey guys. To kill some weekend boredom I came up with an idea. I wanted to check how my painting skills have developed in comparison to 4 years ago. I found my old Vlad Von Carstein and I decided that this is the model I want to make the test on. I started by making some photos of the old model. I have to start that 4 years ago this model was painted by me in a mind set that I have to give it all I got and do my best because it was my army general. You know what I'm talking about. Probably you made such a commitment for your characters as well. From this year I started painting models for eBay and on commission. So I had a lot of practice .

     As you can see the old model doesn't have any fancy techniques on him, just some layering on most surfaces and a large amount of washes here and there.  





     Setting sentiments aside I took the model and stripped it from the old paint. Luckily I have the metal version of the model so it wasn't a problem. I was ready to begin the test. 


    I thought that in order to have a really nice comparable result I have to retain the color scheme of the model. The only difference would be to the gems' color. Red gems didn't contrast well with red armour. Also I decided that it's time to use some NMM on this one. I haven't mastered it yet but it's the latest technique that I'm getting a hang of. So off I went and painted.



     ...and painted some more.


     The finished model looks like this. I must say that I am very pleased with the result. I encourage you all to do the same. If you do, I would love to see how you progressed.






Feel free to rate him on Cmon. And eBay link, in case you want to drop me an offer. If you like what I do and want to show support you can follow me on Facebook to receive new updates.
Go and paint!
Brovatar.

3 comments:

  1. Hell, that is a cool idea :)I would probably just get a new model, and have the two sit next to eacheother. But yeah...I think I might just do such a thing in the near future!
    On your piece: very well done, you can clearly see the leaps of learning you did. It is always good to reflect on yourself now and again to see the progress you made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you get that skin colour for him? It looks really good.

    ReplyDelete